Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas offers comprehensive reproductive healthcare services. We are here to educate and care for healthy communities. We believe the needs of our community are greater than they’ve ever been. And that drives us to work harder, aim higher, and expect more from one another. Here, you'll be empowered to make an immediate impact for our organization and clients.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package:
Excellent Medical and Dental Benefit Plans
Retirement plan and employer match
Generous Paid Time Off
Plus Additional Benefits
Position Title: Chief Development Officer
Location: Dallas, TX (North)
Reports To: President/CEO
Supervises: Sr. Director of Philanthropy, Sr. Director of Major Gifts, Director of Grants and Director of Development Operations.
Employment Status: Full-Time, Exempt
- The Chief Development Officer provides leadership and strategic direction to ensure the organization’s stability and growth through a dynamic, aspirational, and intensive philanthropic strategy for Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas (PPGT). Ensures the successful identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individuals, corporations and foundations to generate revenue for programs that advance PPGT’s mission and goals. Ensures productivity expectations, customer service and compliance standards are maintained. The Chief Development Officer is a member of the executive leadership team. Abides by the organization’s mission in performing job duties. Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to quality healthcare and excellent customer service.
Essential Job Functions and Expectations
- Oversees and manages the Development department including Major Gifts, Mid-Level Donors, Special Events, Grants, Annual Fund Giving, and Development Operations functions such as database management and prospect research.
- In conjunction with the President/CEO, Board of Directors, and other senior leadership, develops effective strategies and leads efforts to achieve the agency’s fundraising and outreach goals.
- Ensures that PPGT is positioned to support aspirational development efforts through “best in class” research, approaches, processes, events, materials, information and technology.
- Partners with President/CEO, Executive Leadership Team (ELT), Board Members and volunteers in donor/prospect cultivation and solicitation, enhance community visibility, establish donor relations, etc.
- Designs, directs and manages the organization’s overall fund raising programs for the annual and capital campaigns.
- Develops a realistic strategic plan with both short and long range goals to meet the organization’s funding objectives.
- Makes face-to-face solicitations of major donors and prospects and provide staff support for solicitations in coordination with executive leadership.
- Oversees Board involvement in fundraising and any relevant training.
- Plans and coordinate special events and benefits and cultivation of outreach events for specific constituents.
- Builds effective and trustworthy relationships with major donors, board members, foundation trustees, staff and community leaders.
- Manages foundation grants, providing oversight of application and reporting deadlines and requirements.
- Assures compliance with the Board of Director’s governance policies on development as well as the standards established by the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- Assures that all fundraising materials and any communication with the public maintain the highest standards of integrity and honesty.
- Manages volunteer committees that support events and special campaigns.
- Ensures that the Board of Directors, staff and committees are regularly informed of fundraising progress and provide analysis of development gift receipt trends.
- Promotes and facilitates integration, collaboration and teamwork between all departments throughout the organization to advance the overall plans and initiatives.
- Hires, trains, leads, motivates, and coaches department staff.
- Prepares annual work-plan for Development.
- Provides oversight responsibility for Development policies, systems, and procedures.
- Develops an effective leadership style with team members.
- Provides timely feedback and performance evaluation reviews with staff.
- Ensures all required training is completed for direct reports and has overall accountability for staff within area of responsibility.
- Produces timely and accurate reports to Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and regulatory agencies.
- Maintains knowledge of abortion and family planning regulations and implements changes as necessary.
- Represents the organization at meetings, community events, conferences, and fundraising events, as appropriate.
- Adopts and adheres to an Ethical Fundraising Policy and revises this document as needed to always maintain the highest integrity in fundraising.
- Has restricted access to client private health information and has no reason to view protected health information (PHI). May have access to data that is not considered PHI, such as aggregate numbers.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
- Bachelor’s degree in a wide-variety of disciplines. Master’s degree desire
- 18 years of professional-related experience. Minimum of 8 years of experience as a senior leader and/or consultant in a complex fund raising environment. Previous supervisory experience required. Background in women’s health, non-profit fundraising, and public relations strongly desired.
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) desired
- Must have excellent computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet. Must have the willingness and ability to adapt to change including advances or new technology. Must have excellent customer service skills and be committed to providing the highest level of customer satisfaction.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to travel within and outside organization region as job dictates.
- Demonstrated ability in fundraising strategy development.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with the entire range of development tools and tactics, both established and emerging.
- Ability to lead the process of goal development at all levels of development operation and track progress against the goals established.
- Recognized excellence in interpersonal and relationship-building skills, project and staff management skills; ability to motivate and work collaboratively with staff throughout the agency, and effect change.
- Demonstrated appreciation for the level of detail, discretion and good judgment necessary for effective solicitation and cultivation of donors and supporters.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, intellectual curiosity, high energy, positive attitude and diplomatic.
- Ability to successfully prepare written acknowledgement letters, stewardship reports and foundation proposals.
- Ability to earn the confidence of a wide range of internal and external constituents.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to manage intense stress with multiple competing priorities while maintaining a positive attitude and affect; regularly meets deadlines; uses effective problem solving.
- Comfortable and knowledgeable with discussing topics relating to sexual and reproductive health.
- Skilled in verbal and written communications.
- Must be able to speak effectively in a public or group setting.
- Requires an understanding of and commitment to quality healthcare and excellent customer service.
- Be discrete and safe guard confidential information.
- Possess integrity and compliance – can be relied upon to act ethically.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Ability to lead, manage, direct, and motivate diverse groups of people and possess the skills to delegate and supervise subordinates.
- Adaptability or Flexibility: Responds with flexibility to shifting priorities and changing work situations; recovers quickly from problems and setbacks; develops new skills to remain competitive. Adapts easily to change, sees the merits of differing positions, and adapts own positions and strategies in response to new information or changes to a situation.
- Exemplify the organization’s In This Together values: We Tend to the Team; We Respect and Honor All People; We Jump In; We Try and We Learn; We Care for our Business; and We Return to our Mission.
- PPGT celebrates diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. To that end, employment is based solely upon individual merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. We strictly prohibit unlawful discrimination of any kind, including discrimination on the basis of age; race, color, ancestry, national origin, or ethnicity; citizenship status; sex or gender; gender identity or gender expression or transgender status (including the individual's actual or perceived sex and the individual's gender identity, self-image, appearance, behavior, or expression); sexual orientation; mental or physical disability as long as you are qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation; AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; perception of risk of HIV infection; or association with individuals who are believed to be at risk; religion or creed; genetic information; pregnancy status, including related medical conditions; marital status; past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services; or any other basis protected by law. We are a drug-free and tobacco-free workplace.